Pensioner dies in Stamford Hill blaze
Emergency services battle to save man.
AN ELDERLY man died in a Bank Holiday Monday fire after accidentally setting himself ablaze, it has emerged this week.
Police and Fire Services sources said they believe that Stephen Kingston, 72, accidentally squirted flammable fluid on to his pullover when attempting to refuel his lighter.
It is believed he then set himself alight when he went to light a cigarette, the sources added.
Firefighters from Stoke Newington and Tottenham were called to Mr Kingston’s bed-sit in the three-storey St.Andrew’s House in Cranwich Road, Stamford Hill at 2.46pm, where he was trapped inside.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the building to rescue him and quickly got the fire under control by 3.19pm.
Only his second-floor flat was partially damaged during the blaze.
- 1 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 9 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
He suffered serious burns during the blaze and was taken as a priority to the Royal
London Hospital by ambulance, escorted by the doctor from an air ambulance which also arrived.
Mr Kingston died shortly after arriving at the hospital, and his next of kin identified his body.
Neighbours of Mr Kingston said that he had been very ill in the months leading up to his death, which is why he was staying at St. Andrew’s House, which has live-in medical support.
He had lived there for seven months and one neighbour described him as “a quiet, but clearly a very loved and loving man.”
Ian Vickery, a watch manager at Stoke Newington Fire Station, said: “This should act as a reminder to everyone of the importance of smoke alarms.”
An inquest into Mr Kingston’s death has been opened and is due to resume next year.