‘Phil the burn’: Hackney Mayor inspires ‘hot’ cocktail
- Credit: Archant
Cocktails dedicated to the new Mayor of Hackney Philip Glanville are being served up in bars around Hackney.
The spicy, smoky tequila-based drink concocted at Every Cloud bar in Morning Lane is called #philtheburn – the hashtag set up for his Mayoral election campaign. It derives from Bernie Sanders’ hashtag #feelthebern during the American presidential election campaign.
Although the drink is not listed on the menu, Felix Cohen who opened the bar a month ago, will make it for any customers who want to try it.
Mayor Glanville said: “It is a Margarita-based long drink with a chilli liquor, so it’s got an edge. They talked about selling them more widely but at the moment it’s slightly tongue-in-cheek - they saw me and said ‘I want to make you a cocktail.’ I was quite touched and amused.”
Felix told the Gazette: “It’s not on the menu, as much as I love Phil. But if people come in and ask for it, absolutely we can make it up.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s our neighbour and our mayor – any of our neighbours can get a drink named after them, but I’ll definitely remember it when it’s for the mayor.
“It doesn’t really fit stylistically with the rest of the menu [which is] science- and disco-driven drinks.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
Meanwhile the bartender at Wringer and Mangle in London Fields has created a one-off cocktail with coconut, grapefruit and gin for Mayor Glanville – also called #philtheburn. But this one won’t be on general sale.