Pienaar confirms move to Tottenham
STEVEN Pienaar has announced on his personal Twitter page that he is leaving Everton to join Tottenham, where he will wear the number 40 shirt.
The South Africa international was out of contract in the summer but will join the Lilywhites for around �3million, after Spurs beat Chelsea to his signature.
“To end speculation I am going to Spurs,” Pienaar wrote on Twitter today. “I’ve had brilliant years at Everton and it will always be a special place in my heart. I can also confirm I’ll be jersey number 40.”
Tottenham had hoped to steal Pienaar on a free transfer at the end of the season when his contract with the Toffees expired, but they have been forced to make a move this month due to Chelsea’s interest.
The Blues had an offer accepted, while Spurs initially had a lower bid rejected. However, the Lilywhites have returned with an improved figure to match their London rivals, and Pienaar has now confirmed that he has agreed personal terms.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a free in the summer and now we’re talking about �3million,” said Harry Redknapp last Friday. “I think he’s a very good player, good enough to play in the Champions League. He can play off the left, off the right or in the middle. I like him.”
Pienaar was omitted from the Everton squad that drew with Liverpool on Sunday after informing manager David Moyes that he was not in the right frame of mind to play.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
The 28-year-old will provide cover and competition for Aaron Lennon on the right flank following David Bentley’s loan move to Birmingham, and he could also replace Luka Modric in central midfield if necessary.
Pienaar is available to play in both the Champions League and FA Cup, having failed to appear in either competition for Everton this season.