Pirate radio stations targeted in Hackney
Suspicious Hackney residents are urged to report suspected illegal pirate stations on their estates.
Hackney Homes has teamed up with independent regulator and competition authority for the communications Industry Ofcom, to successfully shut down the illegal stations.
Over 14 masts, transmitters and recording equipment have been removed this year and the most recent stations to be shut down were operating from Trelawney Estate, off Morning Lane in Hackney Central and Nye Bevan Estate off Millfields Road in Lower Clapton.
Illegal masts affect air traffic transmission and emergency services frequencies which can lead to serious disruptions to services.
In addition homes are affected by pirate stations, as lifts, door entry systems and roof hatches can get damaged and vandalized by the pirate radio operators when they try and get onto the roofs.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney Homes has installed high security locks across the borough to try and combat the problem.
Wayne Hylton, Hackney Homes estate safety manager, said: “Hackney Homes do not tolerate any individuals operating illegal transmissions on our estates and will take enforcement action against any one involved.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
If any residents believe an illegal pirate station is operating out of their block, please call Hackney Homes on 020 8356 3310 or report it online at www.hackneyhomes.org.uk.