Plans in pipeline for Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and London Fields to join the Overground
- Credit: Archant
Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and London Fields could be added to the Overground line if two east London suburban rail services are incorporated into the Transport for London network.
Last July the Secretary of State agreed to devolve some West Anglia Main Line services to the Mayor of London, and TfL is now working with the Department for Transport and Abellio Greater Anglia to deliver a full transfer by next year.
If permission is granted the move would see 25 new stations added to the Overground line running through Bethnal Green and Hackney, and linking Enfield Town, Cheshunt and Chingford to Liverpool Street station.
White Hart Lane, Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and London Fields would be linked to Liverpool Street via Hackney Downs.
TfL’s director of London Overground, Mike Stubbs, said: “We are currently in the process of determining what further improvements need to be made at stations and on trains on the routes, and a programme to deliver these once the railway has transferred.”
You may also want to watch:
The takeover of the suburban West Anglia main line is revealed in TfL’s latest business plan and is part of its wider adoption of National Rail lines serving London.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “You only have to look at the success of London Overground to see how TfL taking over this commuter service will transform the journey for passengers.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
“It will also open up the north-east of London and drive jobs and growth in Tottenham and beyond.”