Plans in pipeline for Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and London Fields to join the Overground
- Credit: Archant
Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and London Fields could be added to the Overground line if two east London suburban rail services are incorporated into the Transport for London network.
Last July the Secretary of State agreed to devolve some West Anglia Main Line services to the Mayor of London, and TfL is now working with the Department for Transport and Abellio Greater Anglia to deliver a full transfer by next year.
If permission is granted the move would see 25 new stations added to the Overground line running through Bethnal Green and Hackney, and linking Enfield Town, Cheshunt and Chingford to Liverpool Street station.
White Hart Lane, Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and London Fields would be linked to Liverpool Street via Hackney Downs.
TfL’s director of London Overground, Mike Stubbs, said: “We are currently in the process of determining what further improvements need to be made at stations and on trains on the routes, and a programme to deliver these once the railway has transferred.”
The takeover of the suburban West Anglia main line is revealed in TfL’s latest business plan and is part of its wider adoption of National Rail lines serving London.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “You only have to look at the success of London Overground to see how TfL taking over this commuter service will transform the journey for passengers.
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 3 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 4 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 5 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 6 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 7 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 8 Apply now: Hackney Central business fund launched
- 9 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 10 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
“It will also open up the north-east of London and drive jobs and growth in Tottenham and beyond.”