Plans to re-clad Landmark Heights, Lower Clapton, shelved in light of deadly Grenfell Tower blaze
- Credit: Archant
Plans to re-clad a Lower Clapton tower block have been shelved following the devastating Grenfell Tower blaze that left more than 100 dead, missing or injured.
Confirmation came today from the manager of Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road after the people living there raised concerns about work that was proposed.
A deadly fire consumed the west London block in the early hours of Wednesday. So far 30 have been confirmed dead but the number is expected to rise significantly as searches progress.
More than 70 people are still unaccounted for while 12 more are fighting for their lives.
The aluminium compound material on that building, which had flammable plastic insulation underneath, may have contributed to the spread of the blaze, it is claimed.
You may also want to watch:
It is not known what material had been earmarked for re-cladding Landmark Heights and no planning applications had yet been submitted.
“Obviously me and all the other residents are opposed to cladding being put up on the outside of the building after what has happened this week,” said one resident of Landmark Heights today.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 4 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
Marcus Bastel, another resident, said: “Me and my girlfriend were watching the news and feeling a bit freaked out about being sat in a very similar looking tower block.
“Obviously they should think carefully before doing any more work on the building and safety definitely needs to be thought about.”
Solomon Mozes of property management company KMP Solutions, said: “We have shelved our plans to clad the outside of the building until more is known about what went on at Grenfell Tower.
“We’ll have to wait and see what comes out about what went wrong in west London and revaluate how we look to improve the block.”
Landmark Heights is privately owned, but Hackney Council will also be reevaluating fire safety in its own tower blocks. It said earlier this week all fire risk assessments in were up to date.
Mayor Philip Glanville said on Wednesday: “We have invested significantly in the last five years to upgrade lighting and fire alarms in communal areas, and hardwire smoke alarms in properties and those in communal areas, while upgrading all our stock to ensure that it meets fire regulations.
“Despite this we cannot afford to be complacent, and will apply and lessons learned or recommendations arising from this terrible accident.”