Plans to redevelop derelict Stoke Newington mansion St Mary’s Lodge to be displayed for public
- Credit: Archant
Fresh plans to redevelop the dilapidated Stoke Newington mansion St Mary’s Lodge are to be displayed this weekend so the public can have their say on them.
The building has been left to rot since it was gutted in a fire in 2005 but now renowned firm John Stebbing Architects has drawn up proposals.
The architects have spent 18 months working with the owners to restore the building and build a new school for the Viznitz community.
Pre-application discussions have already taken place with the town hall, which earlier this year published a brief outlining the options.
The Hackney Society, which scrutinises planning applications across the borough, has already had a look at the plans.
Chair Nick Perry has welcomed the applicant’s enthusiasm for engaging with the community, but says the plans are too ambitious.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The site has remained derelict, and in a state of decay for too long and like the many proposals before it, the latest scheme is still seemingly much more ambitious than this highly sensitive and constrained site can tolerate.
“Recent site-specific policy adopted by Hackney lays out what might be both acceptable and viable on the site and we’re keen to see this scheme move much closer to that policy brief – and sooner rather than later.”
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney gym owners fined £1,000 for breaching Covid rules
The consultation takes place at Belz Seminary in Lordship Road from 4pm to 6pm on Sunday.