Plans to transform Green Lanes with segregated cycle track revealed by Hackney Council
- Credit: Archant
Plans to create segregated cycle lanes along Green Lanes have been revealed.
Hackney Council wants to transform the major road to make it safer for cyclists and pedestrians. The proposals include the track between Newington Green and Manor House, as well as narrower roads to reduce traffic speed, "floating bus stops" and raised continuous pavements.
Thirty-five trees would also be planted, in line with the council's commitment to plant 5,000 new street trees by 2022.
Transport chief Cllr Jon Burke said: "Green Lanes forms a key route for people travelling in the borough, but at the moment it's a hostile environment dominated by cars. We want to transform it for walking and cycling, so we can encourage more people to travel cheaply and sustainably, improving the quality of London's toxic air and reducing our reliance on polluting vehicles. I'd urge people to have their say on the proposals."
Subject to consultation, the scheme would be delivered in two phases. This consultation relates to the first phase of proposals between Petherton Road and Woodberry Grove.
You may also want to watch:
Consultation on a second stage will take place later this year.
The council says it is relying on funding bids for the project, so if it doesn't achieve full funding it would have to carry out the work in stages.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 6 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 7 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
View the plans at consultation.hackney.gov.uk/streetscene/green-lanes.