Pochettino admits Spurs are suffering injuries at an unfortunate time as they begin a crucial month
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Mauricio Pochettino admits Tottenham are suffering a succession of injuries at an unfortunate time as his squad enter a crucial month featuring six matches in three competitions.
Danny Rose has joined Erik Lamela and Jan Vertonghen in the treatment room after suffering a knee injury at Sunderland, while Kieran Trippier and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou are also out of action ahead of Saturday’s home game against Middlesbrough in the Premier League.
For Pochettino, the situation is reminiscent of the scenario in October and November, when Harry Kane and Toby Alderweireld were unavailable and Lamela and Ben Davies also suffered injuries.
Spurs only won out of 10 games in all competitions between October 15 and November 26.
And, as the Lilywhites prepare to start an important month which includes a league game at Liverpool, an FA Cup tie at Fulham and a two-legged Europa League showdown with Belgian outfit Gent, Pochettino hopes history will not repeat itself.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a shame because all the injuries are for reasons we cannot manage,” he said. “It’s a knock here, another knock there, a bad tackle - you know.
“But it’s true we now have ahead a very busy period because we have the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League and we need all the players in good condition to try to fight.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 5 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 9 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
“It looks similar to what happened when we were playing in the Champions League, remember, and we had a few problems like this. We hope that in this situation the results will be different to what happened in November.
“I think now February is important. It’s a month that will mark our objective until the end of the season. Every game will be massive and be very important for us.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs and visit my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BenPearceSpurs/