Pochettino: Kane has shown that Tottenham is more important to him than money
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Mauricio Pochettino says Harry Kane’s latest contract extension shows the striker is motivated by a love of Tottenham rather than money.
Kane’s new five and a half-year deal is thought to be worth more than £100,00 per week but that is still dwarfed by the salaries of some of his rivals at Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea – some of whom reportedly make more than £200,000 per week.
Kane, who scored more Premier League goals last season than anyone else, could almost certainly earn more elsewhere but Pochettino says the forward knows there are more important things than cash.
“If you ask him it is sure that it is not about money,” said the manager. “He loves Tottenham and he wants to stay here in this project and that is fantastic. It is not about money. Always he was convinced about staying here. I never felt otherwise.
“Could he be a one-club man? We will see but why not? One day he could be like this type of player for us.
You may also want to watch:
“He is English and one of the best strikers in the world, and it’s sure that teams not only in England but in Europe have seen him and have been following him and assessing him and thinking there would be a possibility one day to take Harry. But Harry is very happy here and one more time he has shown his commitment to the club, and that’s fantastic.
“He is a very special player and a very special man and for that I think it’s fantastic to keep him here and happy. He has shown that he loves Tottenham and it is important to praise him and recognise his value.”
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
Asked if he has ever known another player who was so committed to one club, Pochettino replied: “Myself at Espanyol! I had plenty of offers from different clubs to move, but I spent more than 10 years at Espanyol - it’s true.
“Why is Tottenham so special to Harry? Well, why do you love your wife and why do you love your dog or pet? There’s a special connection. It’s difficult to explain why. It’s like with [Victor] Wanyama – he arrived and fits very well at Tottenham. Everyone loves him and he loves them.
“I always believe in universal energy, world energy. It’s connected. Nothing happens coincidentally, always it’s a consequence [of something]. Maybe it is one of the reasons Harry always scores in the derby. I believe in that energy. For me, it exists.”
Tottenham will also be keen to get captain Hugo Lloris to extend his contract. Pochettino joked: “The problem is the chairman was busy, and now he moves to another case! No, I think Lloris is in the same level as Harry.
“Hugo is very happy here. He is French but, like me as an Argentinian at Espanyol, he cares a lot about Tottenham.
“You can feel they love Tottenham and want to stay here. For me that is very important that they show the commitment and believe in the project, in us. It’s great for the future.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs