Spurs boss Pochettino pleased with players but feels improvements are needed
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino was pleased with his players in their 3-1 victory against Fulham but believes there is still plenty to improve on despite winning both of their Premier League matches so far.
Goals from Kieran Trippier and Harry Kane in the final 20 minutes earned the three points for his side at Wembley after Aleksandar Mitrovic had cancelled out Lucas Moura’s first-half strike.
Although, the boss feels they must stop giving their opponents so many chances and revealed that’s why he decided to change formatio, after a slow start to the second-half that led to the equaliser.
“I was a little bit disappointed because we conceded chances, with a different set-up and players,” Pochettino said.
“It’s important to improve, but I am so happy with the victory because the performance was so good, we fully deserved the victory.
“I want to give the full credit to the players. But we need to improve if we want to challenge the big teams, it’s a situation that will push us to be better in different areas.”
The 46-year-old feels his side could have been more clincal in the first-half and put the game out of sight instead of letting the Cottagers back into the match.
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 4 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 5 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 6 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 7 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 8 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
- 9 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 10 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
“We need to improve in different areas, be more clinical in front of goal, as in the first 25 to 30 minutes we had so many chances and we have a lot of situations where we should be more accurate.
“We can’t afford to start so sloppy in the second-half, when you have three centre backs, two wing backs and a holding midfielder to concede the chances we did we need to review everything.”
He did praise the impact of Kieran Trippier as a wing-back and substitutes Moussa Dembele and Erik Lamela for their impact once he changed the formation in the second-half.
“The team tried very hard to find him,” Pochettino said. When he arrives in that higher position he has a very good quality. He had a lot of chances to find offensive players but maybe didn’t. His goal was fantastic.”
Before adding: “They were a real impact, Moussa and Erik, they helped the team and increased the tempo.
“They provided better organisation so that was fantastic and that is what we want from the players that are outside of the team.”