Spurs boss Pochettino pleased with players but feels improvements are needed
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino was pleased with his players in their 3-1 victory against Fulham but believes there is still plenty to improve on despite winning both of their Premier League matches so far.
Goals from Kieran Trippier and Harry Kane in the final 20 minutes earned the three points for his side at Wembley after Aleksandar Mitrovic had cancelled out Lucas Moura’s first-half strike.
Although, the boss feels they must stop giving their opponents so many chances and revealed that’s why he decided to change formatio, after a slow start to the second-half that led to the equaliser.
“I was a little bit disappointed because we conceded chances, with a different set-up and players,” Pochettino said.
“It’s important to improve, but I am so happy with the victory because the performance was so good, we fully deserved the victory.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to give the full credit to the players. But we need to improve if we want to challenge the big teams, it’s a situation that will push us to be better in different areas.”
The 46-year-old feels his side could have been more clincal in the first-half and put the game out of sight instead of letting the Cottagers back into the match.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
“We need to improve in different areas, be more clinical in front of goal, as in the first 25 to 30 minutes we had so many chances and we have a lot of situations where we should be more accurate.
“We can’t afford to start so sloppy in the second-half, when you have three centre backs, two wing backs and a holding midfielder to concede the chances we did we need to review everything.”
He did praise the impact of Kieran Trippier as a wing-back and substitutes Moussa Dembele and Erik Lamela for their impact once he changed the formation in the second-half.
“The team tried very hard to find him,” Pochettino said. When he arrives in that higher position he has a very good quality. He had a lot of chances to find offensive players but maybe didn’t. His goal was fantastic.”
Before adding: “They were a real impact, Moussa and Erik, they helped the team and increased the tempo.
“They provided better organisation so that was fantastic and that is what we want from the players that are outside of the team.”