Pochettino’s trying to find best position for engimatic Spurs midfielder
Mauricio Pochettino says he is trying to find the best position for Mousa Dembele, and that the midfielder is a part of his plans for the new season.
The enigmatic Belgian had a good spell as the No10 for a few weeks in January and February last season. But, after a dreadful first-half display in the 2-2 draw at home against West Ham, he was generally restricted to substitute appearances and only returned to the starting line-up for the game at Everton.
However, Dembele has started the recent friendlies against the MLS All-Stars and Real Madrid on the right side of the front four – and, along with Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen, he was then rested for Wednesday’s outing against AC Milan, only appearing for the final seven minute.
That suggests he could start at Old Trafford tomorrow and Pochettino says he is committed to getting the best out of the talented 28-year-old.
“Yes, he’s in my plans [for the season], Dembele,” said the head coach. “I think we need to try to provide him [with the help] to show his real quality here.
“It’s true the last season was difficult for him, but not only was it difficult for him at Tottenham – with his national team too. It’s for that reason we need to try to find the best position for him, to show the quality that he has.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs
- 1 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 2 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 3 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 6 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 7 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 8 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 9 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 10 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment