Pochettino’s trying to find best position for engimatic Spurs midfielder
Mauricio Pochettino says he is trying to find the best position for Mousa Dembele, and that the midfielder is a part of his plans for the new season.
The enigmatic Belgian had a good spell as the No10 for a few weeks in January and February last season. But, after a dreadful first-half display in the 2-2 draw at home against West Ham, he was generally restricted to substitute appearances and only returned to the starting line-up for the game at Everton.
However, Dembele has started the recent friendlies against the MLS All-Stars and Real Madrid on the right side of the front four – and, along with Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen, he was then rested for Wednesday’s outing against AC Milan, only appearing for the final seven minute.
That suggests he could start at Old Trafford tomorrow and Pochettino says he is committed to getting the best out of the talented 28-year-old.
“Yes, he’s in my plans [for the season], Dembele,” said the head coach. “I think we need to try to provide him [with the help] to show his real quality here.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s true the last season was difficult for him, but not only was it difficult for him at Tottenham – with his national team too. It’s for that reason we need to try to find the best position for him, to show the quality that he has.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney gym owners fined £1,000 for breaching Covid rules