Pochettino’s trying to find best position for engimatic Spurs midfielder
Mauricio Pochettino says he is trying to find the best position for Mousa Dembele, and that the midfielder is a part of his plans for the new season.
The enigmatic Belgian had a good spell as the No10 for a few weeks in January and February last season. But, after a dreadful first-half display in the 2-2 draw at home against West Ham, he was generally restricted to substitute appearances and only returned to the starting line-up for the game at Everton.
However, Dembele has started the recent friendlies against the MLS All-Stars and Real Madrid on the right side of the front four – and, along with Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen, he was then rested for Wednesday’s outing against AC Milan, only appearing for the final seven minute.
That suggests he could start at Old Trafford tomorrow and Pochettino says he is committed to getting the best out of the talented 28-year-old.
“Yes, he’s in my plans [for the season], Dembele,” said the head coach. “I think we need to try to provide him [with the help] to show his real quality here.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s true the last season was difficult for him, but not only was it difficult for him at Tottenham – with his national team too. It’s for that reason we need to try to find the best position for him, to show the quality that he has.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets