Pochettino urges Spurs to forget a goalless draw and beat Fiorentina in Europa League clash
Mauricio Pochettino has urged his Tottenham team to treat tomorrow’s Europa League clash against Fiorentina like a normal home game and aim to win.
Spurs have the edge in their last-32 tie, having struck an away goal in their 1-1 draw in Italy last week.
It means a goalless scoreline at White Hart Lane on Thursday evening will take them into the last 16 and gain revenge over the Viola, who eliminated them from the continental competition at the same stage last year.
But Pochettino said: “You have to take the game with energy and try to score and win the game from the beginning, not play in your head with the result. It is important for us to feel free and try to win the game - that is the way to approach it.”
Spurs have already been knocked out of one cup tournament on home turf in the last week, exiting the FA Cup after Sunday’s 1-0 defeat against Palace.
You may also want to watch:
But Pochettino said: “It shouldn’t be a big impact in our mind and affect what we have shown in the last few months.
“We feel very disappointed after the game because it’s never a good thing to lose, but we play a lot of games and sometimes it happens that you deserve to win but you don’t score. It shouldn’t affect the group.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
“We played better than Crystal Palace and we need to keep motivated because we have a lot of important games ahead. We need to move forward.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs