Polar bear opens Last Tuesday Society’s winter exhibition in Hackney
Mighty Boosh star Noel Fielding among the artists on show
It may be cold outside – but you still would not expect to see a polar bear in Mare Street.
The big white beast is among a number of weird and wonderful animals that went on display this weekend.
Curiosity shop and gallery The Last Tuesday Society held the grand opening of its winter exhibition on Saturday (November 27).
It sees the society’s ‘chancellor’ Viktor Wynd working with curator Alice Herrick to transform the space into a menagerie of stuffed animals - including lions, a hyena and of course, the polar bear – inspired by French painter Henri Rousseau
You may also want to watch:
Viktor’s father shot the polar bear in Alaska five years ago and many of the other exhibits come from a family farm in South Africa.
“It is a general interest in the beauty of nature,” he said.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 5 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
Unusual stocking fillers are also going on sale with an exhibition of photography, paintings and prints from 36 contributing artists.
Among them is Mighty Boosh comic Noel Fielding who has written and illustrated ‘The Adventures of the Tiger Spider’ especially for the show.
“I love the shop and I am interested in taxidermy – it’s something that I’ve grown up with,” said Alice.
“There are a lot of things you would not get to see ordinarily.
“The idea was to create a magical animal kingdom which was warm, cosy and Christmassy.”
The Last Tuesday Society’s winter show runs until January 28. For more information go to www.thelasttuesdaysociety.org.