Polar bear opens Last Tuesday Society’s winter exhibition in Hackney
Mighty Boosh star Noel Fielding among the artists on show
It may be cold outside – but you still would not expect to see a polar bear in Mare Street.
The big white beast is among a number of weird and wonderful animals that went on display this weekend.
Curiosity shop and gallery The Last Tuesday Society held the grand opening of its winter exhibition on Saturday (November 27).
It sees the society’s ‘chancellor’ Viktor Wynd working with curator Alice Herrick to transform the space into a menagerie of stuffed animals - including lions, a hyena and of course, the polar bear – inspired by French painter Henri Rousseau
You may also want to watch:
Viktor’s father shot the polar bear in Alaska five years ago and many of the other exhibits come from a family farm in South Africa.
“It is a general interest in the beauty of nature,” he said.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
Unusual stocking fillers are also going on sale with an exhibition of photography, paintings and prints from 36 contributing artists.
Among them is Mighty Boosh comic Noel Fielding who has written and illustrated ‘The Adventures of the Tiger Spider’ especially for the show.
“I love the shop and I am interested in taxidermy – it’s something that I’ve grown up with,” said Alice.
“There are a lot of things you would not get to see ordinarily.
“The idea was to create a magical animal kingdom which was warm, cosy and Christmassy.”
The Last Tuesday Society’s winter show runs until January 28. For more information go to www.thelasttuesdaysociety.org.