Police investigating death threats over Michael Jackson statue at Hackney studio
Police are investigating deaths threats made by obsessive Michael Jaskson fans over a controversial statue of the singer at a Hackney recording studio.
Bosses at The Premises Studios in Hackney Road have called in investigating officers after hate mail about ‘Madonna and Child’ became increasingly menacing.
The life-sized model by Swedish-born sculptor Maria von K�hler, which shows the moment the star dangled his baby out of a Berlin hotel window in 2002, has sparked a barrage of angry messages since going up last month.
Many fans complained that the artwork was disrespectful and called for it to be taken down.
But one said: ““I think we will come to put the fire, or something worst (sic) in your exhibit. Don’t mess with the fans of the King.”
You may also want to watch:
And yesterday morning (Thursday), the studio’s owners received an expletive-laden email pledging to destroy the statue today, prompting them to report the matter to Hackney Police.
Viv Broughton, chief executive of The Premises, said: “So far we haven’t been taking the threats very seriously but a few of them have become quite specific. The level of abuse has been extraordinary so we’re taking a few precautionary measures just to be on the safe side.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
A spokeswoman for Hackney Police said: “We’re investigating an allegation of malicious telecoms.”