Police name girl, 4, found stabbed to death in Lower Clapton flat
Her mother, 36, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act
A four-year-old girl found stabbed to death on a Lower Clapton housing estate has been named as Nusayba Hassam.
The child was found dead inside a flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road after reports of a knife attack shortly after 3pm on Thursday (December 16).
Her mother, 36, who was named locally as Shayna Bharuchi, was arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being declared unfit for interview.
She is being held in a secure unit, a police spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
The Metropolitan Police Service’s child abuse investigation unit is leading the inquiry.
A post-mortem examination took place on Saturday (December 18) at Poplar Mortuary and no formal cause of Nusayba’s death was given.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
An inquest was opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on Monday and adjourned until January 24.