Police name girl, 4, found stabbed to death in Lower Clapton flat
Her mother, 36, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act
A four-year-old girl found stabbed to death on a Lower Clapton housing estate has been named as Nusayba Hassam.
The child was found dead inside a flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road after reports of a knife attack shortly after 3pm on Thursday (December 16).
Her mother, 36, who was named locally as Shayna Bharuchi, was arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being declared unfit for interview.
She is being held in a secure unit, a police spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
The Metropolitan Police Service’s child abuse investigation unit is leading the inquiry.
A post-mortem examination took place on Saturday (December 18) at Poplar Mortuary and no formal cause of Nusayba’s death was given.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
An inquest was opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on Monday and adjourned until January 24.