Police name girl, 4, found stabbed to death in Lower Clapton flat
Her mother, 36, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act
A four-year-old girl found stabbed to death on a Lower Clapton housing estate has been named as Nusayba Hassam.
The child was found dead inside a flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road after reports of a knife attack shortly after 3pm on Thursday (December 16).
Her mother, 36, who was named locally as Shayna Bharuchi, was arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being declared unfit for interview.
She is being held in a secure unit, a police spokesman said.
The Metropolitan Police Service’s child abuse investigation unit is leading the inquiry.
A post-mortem examination took place on Saturday (December 18) at Poplar Mortuary and no formal cause of Nusayba’s death was given.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 6 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
- 9 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 10 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
An inquest was opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on Monday and adjourned until January 24.