Police name girl, 4, found stabbed to death in Lower Clapton flat
Her mother, 36, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act
A four-year-old girl found stabbed to death on a Lower Clapton housing estate has been named as Nusayba Hassam.
The child was found dead inside a flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road after reports of a knife attack shortly after 3pm on Thursday (December 16).
Her mother, 36, who was named locally as Shayna Bharuchi, was arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being declared unfit for interview.
She is being held in a secure unit, a police spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
The Metropolitan Police Service’s child abuse investigation unit is leading the inquiry.
A post-mortem examination took place on Saturday (December 18) at Poplar Mortuary and no formal cause of Nusayba’s death was given.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Downs anti-vax camp cost £50,000 to remove
- 3 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 4 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 5 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 6 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 7 Mosaic unveiled near Finsbury Park station entrance at City North
- 8 Hackney people called on to help 'stamp out' violence against women and girls
- 9 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
An inquest was opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on Monday and adjourned until January 24.