Police name girl, 4, found stabbed to death in Lower Clapton flat
Her mother, 36, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act
A four-year-old girl found stabbed to death on a Lower Clapton housing estate has been named as Nusayba Hassam.
The child was found dead inside a flat on the Chatsworth Estate in Elderfield Road after reports of a knife attack shortly after 3pm on Thursday (December 16).
Her mother, 36, who was named locally as Shayna Bharuchi, was arrested on suspicion of murder and sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being declared unfit for interview.
She is being held in a secure unit, a police spokesman said.
The Metropolitan Police Service’s child abuse investigation unit is leading the inquiry.
A post-mortem examination took place on Saturday (December 18) at Poplar Mortuary and no formal cause of Nusayba’s death was given.
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 4 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 5 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 6 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 7 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 'Catastrophic consequences': Thousands of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 10 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
An inquest was opened at Poplar Coroner’s Court on Monday and adjourned until January 24.