Police swoop on suspected Hackney rioters in dawn raids
Police smashed into three Hackney homes in dawn raids this morning as they swooped on suspected rioters.
The Gazette was with officers as they broke down the door of a house in Hillside Road, Stamford Hill, just after 6am.
They arrested a 22-year-old man for violent disorder and he was led away to a police van in handcuffs. Police believe he threw missiles at officers during the riots that erupted in the borough on August 8.
Police also raided two other properties in Hackney. A 23-year-old man was arrested for violent disorder and a 17-year-old boy was arrested for burglary at a convenience shop.
All three suspects remain in custody this morning.
You may also want to watch:
Det Chief Supt Chris Greany said: “Today’s activity is an indication that two months on from the incidents seen across London we remain absolutely committed to identifying and arresting those responsible for the disorder.
“My message to those who were involved in criminality is that you will not get away with it. We have a huge team of dedicated officers working on this investigation and we will find you. We are determined to bring everyone who committed these outrageous acts of criminality to justice and more arrests will follow.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
Officers from Operation Withern, who are investigating the riots, have arrested nearly 3,000 people in the capital for a variety of offences. So far, 1,774 have been charged, 317 have been sentenced – and 96 of those have been jailed.
Police have released nearly 700 photos of suspects taken from CCTV footage across London. And two weeks ago the Gazette printed four pages of images of suspected rioters and looters in Hackney.
Previous CCTV stills printed in the paper led directly to the arrests of ten suspects after readers recognised their photos.
Met Police say they still have at least 100,000 hours of CCTV footage to view.
Images of the people Hackney police want to identify can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/london24/6185154251/.
Anyone with information should call police on 020 7275 3086, quoting the picture reference number, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
See next Thursday’s Gazette for pictures of today’s dawn raids.