Police uncover gun and ‘dum dum’ bullet at De Beauvoir flat
Police say they may have prevented a fatal shooting after finding a revolver and live ammunition in a flat in De Beauvoir.
Officers from Hackney’s proactive firearms unit, Operation Bantam, raided an address in Lancresse Court, Whitmore Road, this morning (Thursday) in drugs crackdown.
They discovered a converted 38 Brocock revolver containing two factory-made bullets in its chamber - one was a ‘flat head’ or ‘dum dum’ bullet, which expands on impact causing extensive internal injuries.
Also recovered was a CS gas canister and a quantity of cannabis.
Two men aged 22 and 24 years old along with a 40-year-old woman were arrested at the scene on suspicion of firearms offices and possession with intent to supply class B drugs.
You may also want to watch:
DS John Farrell, of Operation Bantam, said: “Weapons and ammunition such as those seized today have the potential to cause death and serious injury . This result is yet another indication of ours and the local authority’s commitment to making the borough a safer place by removing firearms from our streets.”
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 3 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 4 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week