Portsmouth eye Tottenham Hotspur youngster Luke McGee
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Connor Ogilvie links up with Gillingham after signing new deal with Spurs
League One club Portsmouth are closing in on the signing of Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Luke McGee.
The 21-year-old’s displays last season at Peterborough United have attracted the interest of Pompey.
McGee signed signed a contract extention with the White Hart Lane club in October 2015, keeping him at N17 until the summer of 2019.
After impressing on loan at Posh last season, the League One club were interested in bringing the goalkeeper back to London Road.
You may also want to watch:
But Peterborough ended their chase and divisional rivals Portsmouth now appear close to signing McGee.
Although the youngster has represented Spurs during pre-season, he is yet to make his first-team debut for the north London club.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
With Michel Vorm under contract at Tottenham until 2018, McGee is likely to get very few chances next season.
Therefore Portsmouth have swooped for the goalkeeper, who played 38 times for Posh during the 2016/17 campaign.
If McGee does move on, he will follow in the footsteps of Spurs team-mate Connor Ogilvie.
Ogilvie has joined League One outfit Gillingham last week, although only on loan and after signing a new contract with Tottenham.
The young defender is set to stay at the club until 2019 now and will aim to impress at Gills this season.
Also 21, Ogilvie spent the previous campaign with Stevenage and caught the eye, as they just missed out on the play-offs.
The left-back is set to remain with Gillingham for six months and his new boss Ady Pennock is delighted.
“I’m really pleased to secure Connor’s signature. He’s got pedigree having come through the youth ranks at Tottenham and what is an added bonus for us is that he has experience of playing league football,” Pennock told the official club website.
“He can play in the centre or on the left, so he certainly gives us options.”
Ogilvie added: “I can’t wait to get started to be honest. I’m looking forward to it and I want to be playing games regularly and hopefully I can get that here and push on.”
A Spurs XI will travel to National League side Ebbsfleet United this weekend, as Wayne Burnett’s team step up their preparations for the new campaign.