Power cut hits hundreds in Hoxton as snow closes in
561 addresses without electricity since midday
Residents and businesses in Hoxton have been stuck without electricity for four hours and counting on one of the coldest days of the year so far.
A power cut struck 561 addresses in Charles Square, Pitfield Street, Rufus Street, Hoxton Market and Hoxton Square at about midday today (December 2) as many people struggled to keep warm in the snowy weather.
It was caused by a fault on a piece of equipment on the high voltage network run by electricity provider EDF.
UK Power Networks engineers were still working at 4.30pm to restore the power.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for EDF said: “We would like to reassure customers that our engineers are working as quickly as is safely possible to restore power to customers as soon as we can.
“We realise how difficult it can be to be without power, particularly in the cold weather and apologise for any inconvenience.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 5 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 6 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 7 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
Have you been cut off in the freezing weather today? Let us know how it affected you.