Power cut hits hundreds in Hoxton as snow closes in
561 addresses without electricity since midday
Residents and businesses in Hoxton have been stuck without electricity for four hours and counting on one of the coldest days of the year so far.
A power cut struck 561 addresses in Charles Square, Pitfield Street, Rufus Street, Hoxton Market and Hoxton Square at about midday today (December 2) as many people struggled to keep warm in the snowy weather.
It was caused by a fault on a piece of equipment on the high voltage network run by electricity provider EDF.
UK Power Networks engineers were still working at 4.30pm to restore the power.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for EDF said: “We would like to reassure customers that our engineers are working as quickly as is safely possible to restore power to customers as soon as we can.
“We realise how difficult it can be to be without power, particularly in the cold weather and apologise for any inconvenience.”
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
Have you been cut off in the freezing weather today? Let us know how it affected you.