Rally will show opposition to building on Hackney’s “Wild Marshes”
- Credit: Archant
Campaign group Save Lea Marshes (SLM) has organized the Walk for a Wild Marshes, to show support for retaining green open spaces in Hackney.
A rally is being held this Sunday (September 1) to demonstrate public support for retaining the marshes as wild places.
SLM’s members are opposed to Hackney Council’s planning application for a 68-space car park on Hackney Marsh near Cow Bridge, and are up in arms a 60-space car park has already been constructed on East Marsh, even though a planning application has not been determined by the council.
SLM spokeswoman Caroline Day said: “The lower Lea Valley is under ever-increasing threat of development and inappropriate use from the authorities who are looking to utilise them for financial gain.
“The concern before and during the Olympics was that areas on the marshes that had been used on a ‘temporary’ basis would not be restored back to how they were before.
You may also want to watch:
“This fear has been borne out. The aim of the walk is to raise awareness of development plans but also to illustrate how much the community cherish their free access to the marshes and appreciate London’s vital green lung.”
The walk, which will set off at 1.30pm from Leyton Marsh - the site of the Olympic basketball-training venue which campaigners say has still not been appropriately restored – and will take a tour through some of the best loved spots on the marshes and areas which are under threat of enclosure, development or destruction in both Hackney and Waltham Forest.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
There will be a competition for the best nature costume. For more details see www.saveleytonmarsh.wordpress.com.