Rare Nathusius’ pipistrelle heard at Woodberry Wetlands’ BatFest
- Credit: Archant
A soprano pipistrelle was one of three species of bats whose noise was recorded on Saturday evening at a festival dedicated to the species.
Daubenton’s which likes flying close to water and the much rarer Nathusius’ pipistrelle were also heard with specialist bat detecting equipment on an evening walk around the Woodberry Wetlands.
Matthew Frith, Director of Conservation at the London Wildlife Trust which organised Batfest, said: “We had a fabulous weekend, with 60 people with bat detectors in hand on Saturday hearing a sing-song of bat sonar clicks as they flitted over the reeds and alongside the New River.
“They were able to see a number of bats close to hand. For most it was the first time they saw just how small our bats are.
“The information helps us to build a picture of bat communities in and around Woodberry Wetlands.”
BatFest also involved a free bat-themed family fun day on Sunday, with a talk from Joe Nunez-Mino from the Bat Conservation Trust.
Children heard stories about bats, and got the chance to dress up as bats, draw bats, and eat tasty bat cupcakes.
- 1 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 4 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 5 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Things to do in north London: Christmas markets, workshops and more this weekend
Mr Frith added: “We had an absolutely wonderful afternoon. We even learned a surprising amount about bats, given how much we love them already.”
The festival coincided with the United Nations’ global awareness-raising International Bat Night.