Rashan Charles: Man, 20, dies after being ‘tackled by police’ in Dalston shop and ‘becoming unwell’
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
A 20-year-old man named locally as Rashan Charles has died after allegedly being tackled by police in a Dalston shop.
The police watchdog was today investigating officers’ role in the events of Saturday morning. Footage circulating on social media believed to be taken from the shop’s CCTV shows a man struggling in an officer’s grip before apparently being pushed to the ground, held down by a second man, and handcuffed over the course of two minutes.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission said a cop ran after the man when he got out of a car they had been chasing in Kingsland Road at 1.45am. Mr Charles, said to have been a passenger in the car, reportedly ran into the shop and tried to swallow something.
“The man became unwell and first aid was provided by a police officer, police medic and paramedics,” added a spokesman.
“The IPCC has obtained evidence which indicates an object was removed from his throat at the scene. The man was then transported to the Royal London Hospital, where he sadly died soon afterwards.”
You may also want to watch:
Investigators have taken statements from the police officers involved as well as from other witnesses. As well as the shop CCTV, the incident was captured on police body-worn video, which is being reviewed by the IPCC.
Hackney’s borough commander Ch Supt Simon Laurence issued a statement today echoing the IPCC’s description of events.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
“Our thoughts remain with his family and friends,” he added.
“There is likely to be speculation over the next few days regarding what led to this man becoming ill, so I would encourage people to keep up-to-date with the IPCC’s statements, as and when they are released.
“All police officers are fully aware that they will be asked to account for their actions – officers are not exempt from the law and we would not wish to be.”
Mr Charles is the third person to die following contact with police in six weeks. Edson Da Costa died six days after being detained by police in Beckton on June 15, and a 16-year-old boy was killed in a crash with a police car during a chase in Wimbledon seven days ago. The IPCC is investigating both.
The hashtag #JusticeForRash is being used by campaigners to put pressure on the authorities. Neither police nor the IPCC would comment on the CCTV footage.
Anyone who saw the incident in the shop or was near the Kingsland Road and Middleton Road junction at the time is asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.