Residents fight on in bid to stop auction of garages
- Credit: Archant
Garages will go up for auction next week despite a hard-fought campaign by neighbours to keep them for public use.
Hackney Council is selling the buildings in Richmond Road, Morland Estate, London Fields, but residents believe it failed in a legal duty to consult on the plans and continue to call for the auction to be stopped.
However, the council insists there is no statuary obligation to consult on the sale of the garages, which have been boarded up and out of use since 2002 after the tenants’ association blocked an earlier sale.
Julian Blake, 50, a journalist, said: “As Morland residents we’re shut out of the land and shut out of a choice. Residents have ideas for the land but Hackney Council won’t listen to us. They just want the auction to happen regardless.”
Helen Mead, of Richmond Road, whose house borders the garages, said: “I am still hopeful that the council will stop the sale and decide to consult. Many of the tenants and residents of the estate are upset that their amenities are being sold off without consultation
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “Neighbours have previously expressed interest in purchasing the land and the council has postponed marketing it until this point to allow them to put together their own bids. The land will now be offered for sale at auction, while any future development would be subject to planning approval.
“The council has a duty to manage all of the property it owns and to ensure that taxpayers receive best value.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012