Residents fight on in bid to stop auction of garages
- Credit: Archant
Garages will go up for auction next week despite a hard-fought campaign by neighbours to keep them for public use.
Hackney Council is selling the buildings in Richmond Road, Morland Estate, London Fields, but residents believe it failed in a legal duty to consult on the plans and continue to call for the auction to be stopped.
However, the council insists there is no statuary obligation to consult on the sale of the garages, which have been boarded up and out of use since 2002 after the tenants’ association blocked an earlier sale.
Julian Blake, 50, a journalist, said: “As Morland residents we’re shut out of the land and shut out of a choice. Residents have ideas for the land but Hackney Council won’t listen to us. They just want the auction to happen regardless.”
Helen Mead, of Richmond Road, whose house borders the garages, said: “I am still hopeful that the council will stop the sale and decide to consult. Many of the tenants and residents of the estate are upset that their amenities are being sold off without consultation
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “Neighbours have previously expressed interest in purchasing the land and the council has postponed marketing it until this point to allow them to put together their own bids. The land will now be offered for sale at auction, while any future development would be subject to planning approval.
“The council has a duty to manage all of the property it owns and to ensure that taxpayers receive best value.”
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities