Tune into the “spirit of Hackney Carnival” from home
- Credit: Harris Shoots
The “spirit of Hackney Carnival” will be celebrated online this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Hackney Carnival at Home weekender is set to take place on September 12 -13, marking an end to a summer-long season of films which featured carnival collectives and took viewers behind the scenes of Hackney’s biggest party.
The carnival was put on hold due to coronavirus so the council and carnival groups have put together a programme of online events presented by Pax Nindi of Global Carnivalz to be broadcast live via Reel Rebels Radio on September 12 and later streamed on the Hackney Carnival Facebook page on September 13.
Carnival at Home and Spirit of Carnival curators Manuela Benini and Deb Mullins said: “When we have asked carnival artists and participants to describe the spirit of Hackney Carnival, it has been a joy to hear about their memories and wonderful experiences over the years. The audiences that line the route get a special mention.
“It really is a celebration for all the community to enjoy and is highly regarded by visiting carnival bands and audiences.”
You may also want to watch:
Events include a day dedicated to Hackney Carnival sound systems and a virtual Carnival Day featuring films from past processions and live bands.
There will also be a Carnival Dance challenge inviting online carnival-goers to get involved and create some moves to an exclusive soca tune.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 4 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 5 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 6 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 7 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Hackney NHS staff celebrated for 'work beyond the call of duty'
- 10 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
From September 13, Spirit of Carnival will launch on Lovehackney.com teaching people about the artistry and origins of carnival through interviews with industry experts.
The films made about carnival and shown over the summer are still available to watch on the Hackney Carnival Facebook page and Love Hackney website, with new additions released every Thursday at 4.30pm.
Reel Rebels Radio said: “As an intergenerational and intersectional community radio station, Reel Rebels Radio is honoured to reflect the diversity of Hackney, and none more so than when we are hosting the Hackney Carnival Sound System day on Saturday.
“We reflect the carnival and the carnival reflects us.”
For more information on the council’s response to the coronavirus pandemic and ongoing support to Hackney’s arts and cultural network, visit hackney.gov.uk/culture