Tune into the “spirit of Hackney Carnival” from home
- Credit: Harris Shoots
The “spirit of Hackney Carnival” will be celebrated online this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Hackney Carnival at Home weekender is set to take place on September 12 -13, marking an end to a summer-long season of films which featured carnival collectives and took viewers behind the scenes of Hackney’s biggest party.
The carnival was put on hold due to coronavirus so the council and carnival groups have put together a programme of online events presented by Pax Nindi of Global Carnivalz to be broadcast live via Reel Rebels Radio on September 12 and later streamed on the Hackney Carnival Facebook page on September 13.
Carnival at Home and Spirit of Carnival curators Manuela Benini and Deb Mullins said: “When we have asked carnival artists and participants to describe the spirit of Hackney Carnival, it has been a joy to hear about their memories and wonderful experiences over the years. The audiences that line the route get a special mention.
“It really is a celebration for all the community to enjoy and is highly regarded by visiting carnival bands and audiences.”
You may also want to watch:
Events include a day dedicated to Hackney Carnival sound systems and a virtual Carnival Day featuring films from past processions and live bands.
There will also be a Carnival Dance challenge inviting online carnival-goers to get involved and create some moves to an exclusive soca tune.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
From September 13, Spirit of Carnival will launch on Lovehackney.com teaching people about the artistry and origins of carnival through interviews with industry experts.
The films made about carnival and shown over the summer are still available to watch on the Hackney Carnival Facebook page and Love Hackney website, with new additions released every Thursday at 4.30pm.
Reel Rebels Radio said: “As an intergenerational and intersectional community radio station, Reel Rebels Radio is honoured to reflect the diversity of Hackney, and none more so than when we are hosting the Hackney Carnival Sound System day on Saturday.
“We reflect the carnival and the carnival reflects us.”
For more information on the council’s response to the coronavirus pandemic and ongoing support to Hackney’s arts and cultural network, visit hackney.gov.uk/culture