Residents say they were not consulted before tree cut
- Credit: Archant
A row has broken out between devastated residents and Hackney Council after trees were chopped down on a Stoke Newington estate.
The council removed four trees on October 24 from Inglethorpe House in the Tower Court Gardens Estate, off Geldestone and Northwold roads, after saying they had Fireblight – a disease which kills the shoots of certain trees, making the plants look like they have been scorched by fire.
But the move has outraged residents who say they were not consulted and were sceptical about the Fireblight claims.
Stuart Round, 64 of Geldestone Road, said: “There’s a great deal of anger about the destruction of the four trees.”
Mr Round said the issue arose several years previously but protests resulted in Hackney Mayor Jules Pipe ordering a halt to work and the arrival of a qualified tree specialist who found that seven of nine trees to be destroyed were disease-free.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Round said: “One tree nominated as ‘dead’ by the council surveyor was found to be very much alive and to this day brings pleasure to estate residents.”
Occupants blamed the poor quality of soil for the brown leaves on the trees and said that using sprinklers in summer resolved this.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
Mr Round has started a petition and has drummed up support from 140 residents.
He said: “I would challenge [the council] to provide evidence.
“What is truly disgraceful is that we were not told or asked what we, as Hackney Homes tenants or owners, on both sides of Geldeston Road wanted and were entitled to discuss.
“It can’t be left to tenants and residents associations who have very small attendances and don’t necessarily represent everyone on the estate.
He continued: “Inglethorpe House which was once attractive with the explosion of green in the spring is now a slum-like building.”
Fellow resident Lydia Henny said: “I woke up looking forward to spending the morning in our living room but was shocked to find that living room looked bare and lifeless.
“What once was a lovely view on to the street now looks stark and more of a concrete jungle.”
A council spokesman said a risk assessment in accordance with the British Standard for Tree Works that was carried out by Hackney Homes, indicated the trees had Fireblight.
He said: “The local Tenants and Residents Association were informed of the planned tree maintenance once the decision was taken to remove the trees preventing the disease from spreading further.
“A variety of trees, less prone to Fireblight, will be planted as replacements.”