Restored Hitchcock film showing at Hackney Empire
A restored silent film by legendary film maker Alfred Hitchcock, will premiere in Hackney tomorrow (Friday 13).
The Ring, one of Hitchcock’s earliest films, is showing at the Hackney Empire, Mare Street, accompanied by a newly-composed jazz soundtrack.
The 1927 film, recently restored by the British Film Institute (BFI), is a hard-hitting boxing drama that helped inspire The Artist, according to its director Michel Hazanavicius.
The story follows a love-triangle involving a fairground boxer whose lover falls for the charms of a professional fighter.
Acknowledged as one of the world’s greatest filmmakers, Hitchcock frequented the Empire.
Award-winning saxophonist, Soweto Kinch, was commissioned by the BFI to write the new score and will perform it live on the night.
He said: “One of the most exciting qualities of the project is that the potential audience for it is broad enough to not be pinned down to a single genre, but the themes and location in East London provide a wealth of inspiring sounds.
- 1 Hackney high streets to get funding boost
- 2 Man 'threw toolbox' at woman's head at Overground station
- 3 Met officer sacked for concealing proceeds of husband's crimes
- 4 Video shows jewellers in Stamford Hill robbed twice in two months
- 5 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Pay cut decision overturned after council worker strike
- 8 First-of-its-kind De Beauvoir event brings women and the police together
- 9 Dedicated police team set up for Shoreditch Town Centre
- 10 'We're sorry': Hackney Council apologises after pandemic repairs backlog
“The content of The Ring also makes it pertinent. It’s depiction of a multi racial East End, blas� racism, and its take on relationships make it a fascinating springboard for discussion. It will be great to be involved in rethinking the world around Alfred Hitchcock.”
A MOBO award winner in 2007 and a headliner at the 2011 London Jazz Festival, Soweto’s music mixes improvisational jazz and hip hop.
The showing is tomorrow at 8pm. Hackney residents can get 2 for 1 tickets, by quoting ‘2-4-1’ when they book on 0208 985 2424.