Retiree, 79, serenades Diane Abbott at Upper Clapton ‘knit and natter’ club
- Credit: Hanover Housing
Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott was treated to a personal serenade from 79-year-old Laurence Jeffrey when she visited a “knit and natter” group in Upper Clapton.
The group is helping retirees combat loneliness and isolation.
The fortnightly social club at Lea View House in Jessam Avenue allows residents to catch up on the latest gossip over a cup of tea and a ball of wool.
It was set up by Hanover’s housing association’s estate manager Pat Blake, after she noticed some of the residents were becoming more “aloof” because of a lack of motivation and decreased mobility.
The veteran MP witnessed first-hand the difference the club is making, and enjoyed Laurence’s rendition of pop crooner Al Martino’s hit Here In My Heart.
You may also want to watch:
Pat said: “Over the past few months it has been an exhilarating and rewarding experience to see how the club has touched the lives of residents.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 7 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs