Retiree, 79, serenades Diane Abbott at Upper Clapton ‘knit and natter’ club
- Credit: Hanover Housing
Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott was treated to a personal serenade from 79-year-old Laurence Jeffrey when she visited a “knit and natter” group in Upper Clapton.
The group is helping retirees combat loneliness and isolation.
The fortnightly social club at Lea View House in Jessam Avenue allows residents to catch up on the latest gossip over a cup of tea and a ball of wool.
It was set up by Hanover’s housing association’s estate manager Pat Blake, after she noticed some of the residents were becoming more “aloof” because of a lack of motivation and decreased mobility.
The veteran MP witnessed first-hand the difference the club is making, and enjoyed Laurence’s rendition of pop crooner Al Martino’s hit Here In My Heart.
You may also want to watch:
Pat said: “Over the past few months it has been an exhilarating and rewarding experience to see how the club has touched the lives of residents.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways