Riot film premieres in Rio Cinema for East End Film Festival
Speaker’s Chaplain Rev Rose Hudson Wilson and youth club founder Jannette Collins are amongst people from Hackney featuring in a documentary about last summer’s riots, which premieres at the East End Film Festival (EEFF) next Thursday (July 5).
Youth media organisation, Fully Focused Community, made the documentary Riot From Wrong, about the social unrest which swept through the UK last August, to counter the negative press given to young people by the media.
“Our main objective was to look deeper, as all of us have many years experience working with young people we knew it wasn’t as simple as branding the young people as ‘feral’ and ‘immoral’, there was much more to it,” said co-producer Rowan Carnihan.
“There are underlying problems which affect all of society not just young people, and these helped to spark the unrest in August 2011, we wanted to provide some alternative positive perceptions of young people, which we knew to be true,” she added.
The film discusses solutions like developing a better sense of community, challenging stereotypes and empowering young people.
As Hackney was one of the main areas affected, young people in the borough were interviewed along with Rev Hudson Wilson, the vicar of Dalston’s Holy Trinity church and Haggerston’s All Saints, and Jannette Collins who set up The Crib youth club 13 years ago, along with youth worker Emeka Egbuonu.
The film premieres on Thursday July 5 at the Rio Cinema in Kingsland Road, as part of the EEFF which runs until July 8.
- 1 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 2 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 3 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 4 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 5 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 6 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 7 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting
- 10 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days