Rough sleeping in Hackney rose by 69% last year, new figures reveal
- Credit: Archant
Rough sleeping in Hackney rose by 69% last year, according to new figures from the Greater London Authority.
In a 12-month period from April 2019 and March 2020, 275 rough sleepers were recorded on the borough’s streets - up from 163 last year.
Local London Assembly Member, Jennette Arnold OBE AM, has warned homeless figures “could get even worse” in the next few months unless the government steps in to further protect renters and support those struggling during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Over the lockdown period, the ‘Everyone In’ campaign, co-ordinated by the GLA, local councils and the government, provided 4,000 homeless Londoners with emergency hotel accommodation, and in March the Government announced a temporary ban on evictions, which has now been extended to September 23. City Hall has urged the government to take further measures to prevent another spike in homelessness coinciding with a second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic this winter.
Ms Arnold said: “We are facing a recession and a potential second wave of the pandemic, we need to act now to protect those who are vulnerable. The good news is that we have recently seen what can be done when the Government works collaboratively with the Mayor and local authorities on this issue.
You may also want to watch:
“We cannot allow this positive momentum to be lost, and the Government now needs to put stronger protections in place to protect renters and dramatically increase support for those most at risk of ending up homeless.”
- 1 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 2 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 6 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 9 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 10 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign