Rough sleeping in Hackney rose by 69% last year, new figures reveal
- Credit: Archant
Rough sleeping in Hackney rose by 69% last year, according to new figures from the Greater London Authority.
In a 12-month period from April 2019 and March 2020, 275 rough sleepers were recorded on the borough’s streets - up from 163 last year.
Local London Assembly Member, Jennette Arnold OBE AM, has warned homeless figures “could get even worse” in the next few months unless the government steps in to further protect renters and support those struggling during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Over the lockdown period, the ‘Everyone In’ campaign, co-ordinated by the GLA, local councils and the government, provided 4,000 homeless Londoners with emergency hotel accommodation, and in March the Government announced a temporary ban on evictions, which has now been extended to September 23. City Hall has urged the government to take further measures to prevent another spike in homelessness coinciding with a second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic this winter.
Ms Arnold said: “We are facing a recession and a potential second wave of the pandemic, we need to act now to protect those who are vulnerable. The good news is that we have recently seen what can be done when the Government works collaboratively with the Mayor and local authorities on this issue.
You may also want to watch:
“We cannot allow this positive momentum to be lost, and the Government now needs to put stronger protections in place to protect renters and dramatically increase support for those most at risk of ending up homeless.”
- 1 Man's face lacerated in Lower Clapton stabbing
- 2 Hackney 'rising star' nominated for BAFTA
- 3 Alleged organiser of illegal Hackney music event faces £10,000 fine
- 4 'Largest cannabis farm we've ever seen,' say Homerton police
- 5 Baby Edward: Police confirm biological mother was found
- 6 Hackney runner marking eight years since losing his dad to Prostate Cancer with charity run
- 7 Swimmers in Hackney and Islington raise money to save their club
- 8 Speaker sets up walk to support Hackney Foodbank after demand surges
- 9 'So many characters': Lockdown portraits on display
- 10 Facebook bans breastfeeding campaign ads starring Hackney mum