Solly Cup 2018: Rushmore Primary School retain crown in annual charity football match to remember Suleman Vesamia
- Credit: Archant
Rushmore Primary School held the crown at the sixth annual Solly Cup in memory of a Hackney dad-of-three.
The cup commemorates the life of Suleman “Solly” Vesamia, who passed away from a rare muscle-wasting disease in 2013.
Solly, who ran A&S Cycles in Chatsworth Road, was a keen football player and lifelong West Ham fan.
The game took place on June 30 in Millfields Park and raised £1,000 for the KIDS charity, which runs an adventure playground in Springfield Park for disabled children.
Rushmore and Millfields primary schools competed in kids’ and dads’ matches. In the children’s game, Rushmore retained the title with a 3-2 victory over Millfields, whilst the dads’ game finished in a 1-1 draw.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Alistair Dent said: “Solly was a great community figure who was helping people out one way or another – a real gentleman. It was a tragedy he was taken from his family in such a cruel way, and five years on we all miss him very much.
“This event gave lots of people a fun day out while raising money for Hackney KIDS – just the sort of thing he would have put his energy into. In a nutshell, Solly would have loved it.”
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing
The cup was presented at the end of the match by Solly’s widow Sham and three children, Aisha, Eisa and Liyya.
To donate, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/sollycup6.