Solly Cup 2018: Rushmore Primary School retain crown in annual charity football match to remember Suleman Vesamia
- Credit: Archant
Rushmore Primary School held the crown at the sixth annual Solly Cup in memory of a Hackney dad-of-three.
The cup commemorates the life of Suleman “Solly” Vesamia, who passed away from a rare muscle-wasting disease in 2013.
Solly, who ran A&S Cycles in Chatsworth Road, was a keen football player and lifelong West Ham fan.
The game took place on June 30 in Millfields Park and raised £1,000 for the KIDS charity, which runs an adventure playground in Springfield Park for disabled children.
Rushmore and Millfields primary schools competed in kids’ and dads’ matches. In the children’s game, Rushmore retained the title with a 3-2 victory over Millfields, whilst the dads’ game finished in a 1-1 draw.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Alistair Dent said: “Solly was a great community figure who was helping people out one way or another – a real gentleman. It was a tragedy he was taken from his family in such a cruel way, and five years on we all miss him very much.
“This event gave lots of people a fun day out while raising money for Hackney KIDS – just the sort of thing he would have put his energy into. In a nutshell, Solly would have loved it.”
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 5 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 6 Hackney's Liam Dillion aims for vacant English super-featherweight title
- 7 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 10 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
The cup was presented at the end of the match by Solly’s widow Sham and three children, Aisha, Eisa and Liyya.
To donate, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/sollycup6.