Solly Cup 2018: Rushmore Primary School retain crown in annual charity football match to remember Suleman Vesamia
- Credit: Archant
Rushmore Primary School held the crown at the sixth annual Solly Cup in memory of a Hackney dad-of-three.
The cup commemorates the life of Suleman “Solly” Vesamia, who passed away from a rare muscle-wasting disease in 2013.
Solly, who ran A&S Cycles in Chatsworth Road, was a keen football player and lifelong West Ham fan.
The game took place on June 30 in Millfields Park and raised £1,000 for the KIDS charity, which runs an adventure playground in Springfield Park for disabled children.
Rushmore and Millfields primary schools competed in kids’ and dads’ matches. In the children’s game, Rushmore retained the title with a 3-2 victory over Millfields, whilst the dads’ game finished in a 1-1 draw.
Organiser Alistair Dent said: “Solly was a great community figure who was helping people out one way or another – a real gentleman. It was a tragedy he was taken from his family in such a cruel way, and five years on we all miss him very much.
“This event gave lots of people a fun day out while raising money for Hackney KIDS – just the sort of thing he would have put his energy into. In a nutshell, Solly would have loved it.”
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 3 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
- 4 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 5 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 6 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 7 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 10 Dumpling Shack announces plans for Hackney restaurant
The cup was presented at the end of the match by Solly’s widow Sham and three children, Aisha, Eisa and Liyya.
To donate, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/sollycup6.