Sainsbury’s vows to employ Woodberry Down job hunters
- Credit: PA WIRE
Supermarket giant Sainsbury’s has vowed to work with Hackney Council to hire local people at its new Woodberry Down store after the deputy mayor raised concerns.
Cllr Philip Glanville said he had experienced difficulty engaging with the chain to create employment through the town hall’s “Ways to Work” scheme.
He said numerous attempts to contact bosses had fallen on deaf ears despite licensing and planning applications highlighting local employment prospects.
But a Sainsbury’s spokesman has now said the supermarket would look to hire from within the area and rubbished rumours the vacancies for the Woodberry Grove store had already been filled ahead of its September opening.
He said: “We always try to employ local people wherever possible, and will be delighted to work with Hackney Council.
You may also want to watch:
“We have only just started the recruitment process and look forward to hearing from people living in the area who wish to work in the store.”
Cllr Glanville remained unconvinced and said the proof would be in the pudding.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
He told the Gazette: “It’s disappointing it has taken this long for Sainsbury’s to finally engage and commit to working with us and communities that want to see these job opportunities going to local people.
“I look forward to hearing from them directly how they plan to work with Ways into Work and make this happen.”