Sally Gunnell supports Hackney runners
Olympic gold medalist Sally Gunnell is helping two Hackney running clubs get out of the starting blocks.
The athlete, who won the 400m hurdles at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, is backing a campaign to get more young people running in the months before the 2012 Olympics.
The clubs, Mabley Green Royal Caribbean Runners and the Britannia Royal Caribbean Runners, are both newly set up in Hackney and free to join.
New recruits will take part in a 12 week programme to improve their health and fitness and find out about the benefits of an active life.
Sally Gunnell said: “There is simply no better time to get healthy than right now. Fitness has always played a key part in my life and I’m thrilled to be sharing this passion to help get people motivated and taking their first running steps.
You may also want to watch:
“Getting involved is easy and whether you’re a seasoned athlete, a weekend warrior or a beginner looking to start your first run, the new Royal Caribbean Running groups starting up in Hackney are making now the time to do it.”
Kevin King, Hackney resident and running group leader, said: “At this time of year many people are looking for ways to get fit for the year ahead; clubs like the Brittania Royal Caribbean Runners make it easier to stick to your goal.”
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
Mabley Green Royal Caribbean Runners meet at the Mabley Green Astro Pitches, Lee Conservancy Road, every Tuesday at 6pm and the Brittania Royal Caribbean Runners meet at the Brittania Leisure Centre, Hyde Road, Hoxton, every Tuesday at 5.30pm. Nothing but a pair of trainers is needed to join and all abilities are welcome. Visit www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/runners for more information.