Sally Gunnell supports Hackney runners
Olympic gold medalist Sally Gunnell is helping two Hackney running clubs get out of the starting blocks.
The athlete, who won the 400m hurdles at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, is backing a campaign to get more young people running in the months before the 2012 Olympics.
The clubs, Mabley Green Royal Caribbean Runners and the Britannia Royal Caribbean Runners, are both newly set up in Hackney and free to join.
New recruits will take part in a 12 week programme to improve their health and fitness and find out about the benefits of an active life.
Sally Gunnell said: “There is simply no better time to get healthy than right now. Fitness has always played a key part in my life and I’m thrilled to be sharing this passion to help get people motivated and taking their first running steps.
You may also want to watch:
“Getting involved is easy and whether you’re a seasoned athlete, a weekend warrior or a beginner looking to start your first run, the new Royal Caribbean Running groups starting up in Hackney are making now the time to do it.”
Kevin King, Hackney resident and running group leader, said: “At this time of year many people are looking for ways to get fit for the year ahead; clubs like the Brittania Royal Caribbean Runners make it easier to stick to your goal.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
Mabley Green Royal Caribbean Runners meet at the Mabley Green Astro Pitches, Lee Conservancy Road, every Tuesday at 6pm and the Brittania Royal Caribbean Runners meet at the Brittania Leisure Centre, Hyde Road, Hoxton, every Tuesday at 5.30pm. Nothing but a pair of trainers is needed to join and all abilities are welcome. Visit www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/runners for more information.