Sally Gunnell supports Hackney runners
Olympic gold medalist Sally Gunnell is helping two Hackney running clubs get out of the starting blocks.
The athlete, who won the 400m hurdles at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, is backing a campaign to get more young people running in the months before the 2012 Olympics.
The clubs, Mabley Green Royal Caribbean Runners and the Britannia Royal Caribbean Runners, are both newly set up in Hackney and free to join.
New recruits will take part in a 12 week programme to improve their health and fitness and find out about the benefits of an active life.
Sally Gunnell said: “There is simply no better time to get healthy than right now. Fitness has always played a key part in my life and I’m thrilled to be sharing this passion to help get people motivated and taking their first running steps.
You may also want to watch:
“Getting involved is easy and whether you’re a seasoned athlete, a weekend warrior or a beginner looking to start your first run, the new Royal Caribbean Running groups starting up in Hackney are making now the time to do it.”
Kevin King, Hackney resident and running group leader, said: “At this time of year many people are looking for ways to get fit for the year ahead; clubs like the Brittania Royal Caribbean Runners make it easier to stick to your goal.”
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 4 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 5 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 7 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
Mabley Green Royal Caribbean Runners meet at the Mabley Green Astro Pitches, Lee Conservancy Road, every Tuesday at 6pm and the Brittania Royal Caribbean Runners meet at the Brittania Leisure Centre, Hyde Road, Hoxton, every Tuesday at 5.30pm. Nothing but a pair of trainers is needed to join and all abilities are welcome. Visit www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/runners for more information.