Scans show Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen has suffered knee ligament injury
Jan Vertonghen faces a spell on the sidelines after scans showed the defender suffered knee ligament damage during Saturday’s clash at Selhurst Park.
The Belgian was elbowed by Crystal Palace striker Connor Wickham – who has been charged with violent conduct – and fell awkwardly with his left knee underneath him. He initially tried to play on but had to be helped off the pitch by Spurs’ physios 15 minutes from the end.
Vertonghen had previously played every minute of Spurs’ Premier League campaign alongside his compatriot Toby Alderweireld, and Spurs have the best defensive record in the top flight.
He was assessed in Barcelona on Tuesday – the squad has been in Spain this week for a training camp – and the club have declined to put a timeframe on the 28-year-old’s return.
A statement said: “Further assessment and scans have confirmed that Jan Vertonghen sustained damage to his medial collateral ligament in his knee at Palace.
You may also want to watch:
“Our medical staff will continue to monitor his progress during his rehabilitation to determine when he will be ready to return to training.”
Vertonghen was replaced by summer signing Kevin Wimmer on Saturday and the 23-year-old Austrian is now set for a run in the side, starting with this weekend’s trip to Colchester in the fourth round of the FA Cup.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse