SCHOOL PLACES HOPE
Hackney s education authority is looking into opening the KPMG City Academy a year early to accommodate some of the 331 pupils who did not get into the secondary school of their choice...
Hackney's education authority is looking into opening the KPMG City Academy a year early to accommodate some of the 331 pupils who did not get into the secondary school of their choice.
A letter from Learning Trust chief executive Alan Wood to the parents said that while it was outside The Trust's power to make a decision on the proposal, it had been in discussions with the government and the academies who could give it the green light.
He said in the letter: "We have continued to examine this matter and have written to the Department for Children, Schools and Families, to request an early formal response to the proposal.
"We have also written to the academies concerned for their comments on the proposals", Mr Wood added.
The KPMG City Academy does not legally become a school until next spring, ahead of it opening in September 2009.
But parents are pushing for pupils to move into the temporary premises, which were occupied by Bridge Academy students before they moved to the school on Laburnum Street, Haggerston, for their first year.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 3 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 4 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 5 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 6 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 Rival bosses bemoan ref justice as Tottenham snatch dramatic draw at Chelsea
- 9 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 10 'The grim history of London's water supply'
The parents had originally called for the empty classrooms at Bridge, which opened in September, to be used by their children.
FOR THE FULL STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S GAZETTE AVAILABLE NOW.