Self-combusting laundry warning
- Credit: Getty Images
People who fold and put away their laundry while it is too hot have been warned it could burst into flames.
The London Fire Brigade issued the warning after investigators discovered a fire which damaged a flat in Woodmill Road, Upper Clapton, last Thursday, was caused by laundry self-igniting in a hallway cupboard.
The blaze caused damage to the boiler, cupboard and lighting circuits, and luckily no one was inside at the time.
Charlie Pugsley, head of fire investigation at the Brigade, said: “Cotton laundry like aprons, tea towels and cloths can often be contaminated with organic cooking oils that can self-ignite if dried and stored.
“Make sure you do your wash at the right temperature with the appropriate detergent to remove any oil based contaminants.
You may also want to watch:
Also make sure you wait for your laundry to cool down before packing it away and store it in a well ventilated place.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition