Search

Self-combusting oily rags thought to have caused Stoke Newington blaze

PUBLISHED: 10:35 05 July 2016 | UPDATED: 10:35 05 July 2016

A three-storey house in Bouverie Road was on fire

A three-storey house in Bouverie Road was on fire

Archant

A blaze that ripped through a house in Stoke Newington is thought to have been caused by the spontaneous combustion of oily rags.

A staircase was damaged in the three-storey home in Bouverie Road on Sunday, but no one was injured as the property is under renovation.

It took 35 fire fighters nearly four hours to bring the blaze under control.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, most likely due to self heating of oily rags.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette