Send us your NHS tributes: Stoke Newington neighbours thank NHS with hummingbird mural and birthday cake
- Credit: Sally Freestone
Stoke Newington volunteers and a neighbourhood artist have completed a mural showing their support and appreciation for NHS workers on the front line.
Artist Cathryn Marshall, assisted by art student Connie Lammiman, spent eight hours painting an NHS hummingbird on the side wall of Safedale pharmacy in Church Street. The pharmacy has found support in a community of volunteers manning its door and delivering prescriptions for it and several other branches.
Volunteer Sally Freestone said: “Hummingbirds symbolise healers and bringers of love. It’s a positive message and a permanent thankyou to all NHS and social care workers helping care for us during this most challenging of times.”
The bird was chosen by the pharmacy staff who felt it was a positive message to share with the community.
Neighbours from Oldfield Road and surrounding streets showed their support by donating towards the cost of materials. Any extra money raised will go to the Hackney Foodbank and Islington charities NIA Project and OCD Action.
You may also want to watch:
They also baked an NHS blue cake and sang happy birthday in the rain to dedicated pharmacy manager Gizem Ergisi who took a rare day off on April 27 to rest.
Sally said: “When GP surgeries are closed for face-to-face appointments pharmacies become the go-to front-line medical support places. They have been working their socks off, long hours, getting ill themselves, losing resources and coping - still open to the community throughout, even on bank holidays. Unsung heroes.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
We’d like to see and hear about all the wonderful ways you are saying “thank you” to the NHS.
Send in your videos and pictures of appreciation and support to email@example.com, whatsapp: 07584503028 or twitter @HackneyEars
Or to find more groups, networks and organisations like this in Hackney providing support during the Coronavirus lockdown visit our There With You Essential List.