Send us your NHS tributes: Stoke Newington neighbours thank NHS with hummingbird mural and birthday cake
- Credit: Sally Freestone
Stoke Newington volunteers and a neighbourhood artist have completed a mural showing their support and appreciation for NHS workers on the front line.
Artist Cathryn Marshall, assisted by art student Connie Lammiman, spent eight hours painting an NHS hummingbird on the side wall of Safedale pharmacy in Church Street. The pharmacy has found support in a community of volunteers manning its door and delivering prescriptions for it and several other branches.
Volunteer Sally Freestone said: “Hummingbirds symbolise healers and bringers of love. It’s a positive message and a permanent thankyou to all NHS and social care workers helping care for us during this most challenging of times.”
The bird was chosen by the pharmacy staff who felt it was a positive message to share with the community.
Neighbours from Oldfield Road and surrounding streets showed their support by donating towards the cost of materials. Any extra money raised will go to the Hackney Foodbank and Islington charities NIA Project and OCD Action.
You may also want to watch:
They also baked an NHS blue cake and sang happy birthday in the rain to dedicated pharmacy manager Gizem Ergisi who took a rare day off on April 27 to rest.
Sally said: “When GP surgeries are closed for face-to-face appointments pharmacies become the go-to front-line medical support places. They have been working their socks off, long hours, getting ill themselves, losing resources and coping - still open to the community throughout, even on bank holidays. Unsung heroes.”
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
We’d like to see and hear about all the wonderful ways you are saying “thank you” to the NHS.
Send in your videos and pictures of appreciation and support to firstname.lastname@example.org, whatsapp: 07584503028 or twitter @HackneyEars
Or to find more groups, networks and organisations like this in Hackney providing support during the Coronavirus lockdown visit our There With You Essential List.