Send us your NHS tributes: Stoke Newington neighbours thank NHS with hummingbird mural and birthday cake
- Credit: Sally Freestone
Stoke Newington volunteers and a neighbourhood artist have completed a mural showing their support and appreciation for NHS workers on the front line.
Artist Cathryn Marshall, assisted by art student Connie Lammiman, spent eight hours painting an NHS hummingbird on the side wall of Safedale pharmacy in Church Street. The pharmacy has found support in a community of volunteers manning its door and delivering prescriptions for it and several other branches.
Volunteer Sally Freestone said: “Hummingbirds symbolise healers and bringers of love. It’s a positive message and a permanent thankyou to all NHS and social care workers helping care for us during this most challenging of times.”
The bird was chosen by the pharmacy staff who felt it was a positive message to share with the community.
Neighbours from Oldfield Road and surrounding streets showed their support by donating towards the cost of materials. Any extra money raised will go to the Hackney Foodbank and Islington charities NIA Project and OCD Action.
You may also want to watch:
They also baked an NHS blue cake and sang happy birthday in the rain to dedicated pharmacy manager Gizem Ergisi who took a rare day off on April 27 to rest.
Sally said: “When GP surgeries are closed for face-to-face appointments pharmacies become the go-to front-line medical support places. They have been working their socks off, long hours, getting ill themselves, losing resources and coping - still open to the community throughout, even on bank holidays. Unsung heroes.”
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 4 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex
We’d like to see and hear about all the wonderful ways you are saying “thank you” to the NHS.
Send in your videos and pictures of appreciation and support to email@example.com, whatsapp: 07584503028 or twitter @HackneyEars
Or to find more groups, networks and organisations like this in Hackney providing support during the Coronavirus lockdown visit our There With You Essential List.