Dalston designer Sera Ulger vows Durga swimsuit will stay as Hindu statesman proclaims sacred Goddess should not ‘adorn one’s crotch’
- Credit: sera ulger
A Dalston fashion designer has refused to bow to pressure from a Hindu statesman who is demanding she withdraw her swimsuit range adorned with images of the protective mother goddess Durga.
Sera Ulger says it would cost thousands of pounds to take her £95 “Goddess Sherwali swimsuit” out of production, and would set her start-up based in Matthias Road back years.
Rajan Zed from Nevada said goddess Durga is highly revered in Hinduism and is “meant to be worshipped in temples or home shrines” and “not to adorn one’s buttocks and crotch”. He claims trivialization of Hindu deities is “disturbing” to his religious group.
“Hindus are for free artistic expression and speech as much as anybody else if not more, but faith is something sacred and attempts at trivializing it hurt the followers,” he added.
But Ulger is unrepentant: “I’m not going to take it down and that’s the reality of it,” she told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m not a massive fashion brand and I’m not putting stuff out there in the millions and thousands. Its not a case of me selling in Top Shop.
“As an artist I truly believe I want to express that without having anyone telling me I can’t do that. It’s the whole reason you start your own business.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney