Aurier’s Ivory Coast through to quarter-finals
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The defender was fit enough to take a place on the bench in Suez, but didn’t come on in the 1-0 win over Mali
Serge Aurier watched on from the substitute bench as his Ivory Coast team-mates made it through to the Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals on Monday.
The defender picked up an injury in his nation's Group D match with Morocco in June, but was able to recover in time to be amongst the replacements for their round of 16 tie.
A close encounter occurred against Mali, but a 76th-minute effort by Wilfried Zaha sent Ivory Coast through to the next round.
With another few days rest, Aurier - captain of his country - will hope to start the last-eight match against Algeria in Suez, Egypt.
You may also want to watch:
The Tottenham Hotspur right-back struggled with injuries throughout the 2018/19 season and picked up a hamstring issue last month.
But having appeared to shake it off, he will aim to end a mixed individual campaign on a high by helping his country to glory at the Africa Cup of Nations.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting