Aurier’s Ivory Coast through to quarter-finals
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The defender was fit enough to take a place on the bench in Suez, but didn’t come on in the 1-0 win over Mali
Serge Aurier watched on from the substitute bench as his Ivory Coast team-mates made it through to the Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals on Monday.
The defender picked up an injury in his nation's Group D match with Morocco in June, but was able to recover in time to be amongst the replacements for their round of 16 tie.
A close encounter occurred against Mali, but a 76th-minute effort by Wilfried Zaha sent Ivory Coast through to the next round.
With another few days rest, Aurier - captain of his country - will hope to start the last-eight match against Algeria in Suez, Egypt.
You may also want to watch:
The Tottenham Hotspur right-back struggled with injuries throughout the 2018/19 season and picked up a hamstring issue last month.
But having appeared to shake it off, he will aim to end a mixed individual campaign on a high by helping his country to glory at the Africa Cup of Nations.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images