Seven sound systems on way for Hackney Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Feathers, glitz, booming beats and 1,000 dancers are set to grace the borough’s streets at the return of Hackney Carnival next month.
Seven sound systems will be set up pumping music from around the world during the September 9 event, which this year has a theme of “iconic Hackney”.
The procession will be a loop, starting at the Queensbridge Road bridge before turning right into Richmond Road, along Mare Street, up Amhurst Road and down Dalston Lane. It will start at 1.30pm and go on until 5pm.
The carnival will run from 12noon until 8pm.
A live music stage in Gillett Square will be headlined by reggae star Earl 16, while food, drink and more music from Solution Sounds and NTS Live will be available in Ridley Road. Music will also be on offer in Bohemia Place courtesy of a Hackney Pride 365 QTIPOC sound system, while Hackney Playbus will be in the town hall square for the kids.
Creative director Pax Nindi said: “The carnival has a lovely community feel – everyone from young to old gets involved. “
- 1 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney