Seven sound systems on way for Hackney Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Feathers, glitz, booming beats and 1,000 dancers are set to grace the borough’s streets at the return of Hackney Carnival next month.
Seven sound systems will be set up pumping music from around the world during the September 9 event, which this year has a theme of “iconic Hackney”.
The procession will be a loop, starting at the Queensbridge Road bridge before turning right into Richmond Road, along Mare Street, up Amhurst Road and down Dalston Lane. It will start at 1.30pm and go on until 5pm.
The carnival will run from 12noon until 8pm.
A live music stage in Gillett Square will be headlined by reggae star Earl 16, while food, drink and more music from Solution Sounds and NTS Live will be available in Ridley Road. Music will also be on offer in Bohemia Place courtesy of a Hackney Pride 365 QTIPOC sound system, while Hackney Playbus will be in the town hall square for the kids.
You may also want to watch:
Creative director Pax Nindi said: “The carnival has a lovely community feel – everyone from young to old gets involved. “
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney