Seven sound systems on way for Hackney Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Feathers, glitz, booming beats and 1,000 dancers are set to grace the borough’s streets at the return of Hackney Carnival next month.
Seven sound systems will be set up pumping music from around the world during the September 9 event, which this year has a theme of “iconic Hackney”.
The procession will be a loop, starting at the Queensbridge Road bridge before turning right into Richmond Road, along Mare Street, up Amhurst Road and down Dalston Lane. It will start at 1.30pm and go on until 5pm.
The carnival will run from 12noon until 8pm.
A live music stage in Gillett Square will be headlined by reggae star Earl 16, while food, drink and more music from Solution Sounds and NTS Live will be available in Ridley Road. Music will also be on offer in Bohemia Place courtesy of a Hackney Pride 365 QTIPOC sound system, while Hackney Playbus will be in the town hall square for the kids.
You may also want to watch:
Creative director Pax Nindi said: “The carnival has a lovely community feel – everyone from young to old gets involved. “
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web