Seven sound systems on way for Hackney Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Feathers, glitz, booming beats and 1,000 dancers are set to grace the borough’s streets at the return of Hackney Carnival next month.
Seven sound systems will be set up pumping music from around the world during the September 9 event, which this year has a theme of “iconic Hackney”.
The procession will be a loop, starting at the Queensbridge Road bridge before turning right into Richmond Road, along Mare Street, up Amhurst Road and down Dalston Lane. It will start at 1.30pm and go on until 5pm.
The carnival will run from 12noon until 8pm.
A live music stage in Gillett Square will be headlined by reggae star Earl 16, while food, drink and more music from Solution Sounds and NTS Live will be available in Ridley Road. Music will also be on offer in Bohemia Place courtesy of a Hackney Pride 365 QTIPOC sound system, while Hackney Playbus will be in the town hall square for the kids.
You may also want to watch:
Creative director Pax Nindi said: “The carnival has a lovely community feel – everyone from young to old gets involved. “
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens