Shoppers dive for cover as man shot dead outside butcher’s
- Credit: Archant
Panicked shoppers dived to the ground as a man was shot dead in broad daylight on a packed street in Hackney yesterday afternoon.
It is believed the 25-year old victim, who has not yet been formally named, was shot several times before running into butcher’s shop Mighty Meats in Chatsworth Road, Lower Clapton, at around 1pm for help.
Specialist firearms officers and the London Ambulance Service attended the scene where the man was pronounced dead.
A man aged in his 20s was arrested on suspicion of murder nearby soon after, and was remanded in custody.
The area was sealed off for several hours as forensic teams examined the area scene for clues.
You may also want to watch:
Dominic Tyler wrote on Twitter: “A young man lost his life metres from my home in Hackney today. He was shot dead in broad daylight. Senseless, tragic and sad.’
Sam Williams added: “Someone got chased down & shot in broad day on Chatsworth Road, Hackney going back to old school think I might stop waking around again.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
The area earned the nickname ‘Murder Mile’, in the 1990s after a spate of drug and gun-related crimes, but in recent years Lower Clapton has seen a change with trendy businesses moving in and property prices rocketing.
The victim’s next of kin have been informed, and a post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course.
Anyone who witnessed the shooting or the events leading up to the incident is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.