Shoppers dive for cover as man shot dead outside butcher’s
- Credit: Archant
Panicked shoppers dived to the ground as a man was shot dead in broad daylight on a packed street in Hackney yesterday afternoon.
It is believed the 25-year old victim, who has not yet been formally named, was shot several times before running into butcher’s shop Mighty Meats in Chatsworth Road, Lower Clapton, at around 1pm for help.
Specialist firearms officers and the London Ambulance Service attended the scene where the man was pronounced dead.
A man aged in his 20s was arrested on suspicion of murder nearby soon after, and was remanded in custody.
The area was sealed off for several hours as forensic teams examined the area scene for clues.
Dominic Tyler wrote on Twitter: “A young man lost his life metres from my home in Hackney today. He was shot dead in broad daylight. Senseless, tragic and sad.’
Sam Williams added: “Someone got chased down & shot in broad day on Chatsworth Road, Hackney going back to old school think I might stop waking around again.”
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 4 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 5 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 6 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 7 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 8 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 Section 60: Increased stop and search powers in place across Hackney
The area earned the nickname ‘Murder Mile’, in the 1990s after a spate of drug and gun-related crimes, but in recent years Lower Clapton has seen a change with trendy businesses moving in and property prices rocketing.
The victim’s next of kin have been informed, and a post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course.
Anyone who witnessed the shooting or the events leading up to the incident is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.