Shoreditch duo unveil Olympic torch design
A Shoreditch-based duo unveiled their design for the London 2012 Olympic Torch today (June 8).
Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby, whose studio is in Charlotte Road, worked with Basildon-based engineers Tecosim and Coventry manufacturers The Premier Group to create the prototypes of the torch, which will be carried by eight thousand torchbearers across the country.
The pair won the contract to design the torch and celebration cauldrons, which will be used during the 70-day Olympic torch relay next year.
They said in a joint statement: “Ever since we were young we have loved the Olympic Games. As designers, this is quite simply the best project going: to design an icon for the Games. We’ve wanted to be involved since July 2005 when we were celebrating winning the bid with the rest of the UK.
“We have worked hard to develop a Torch that celebrates the relay, and reflects the passion for London and the Olympic Games. We wanted to make the most of pioneering production technologies and to demonstrate the industrial excellence available in the UK – it’s a torch for our time.”
You may also want to watch:
The triangular, gold-coloured torch is inspired by the multiples of three found in the vision and delivery of the Games.
It has eight thousand laser-cut holes representing the eight thousand torchbearers.
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 4 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 8 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
The mass production of the torches that will start later this year.
Sebastian Coe, chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG), said: “The torch that carries the Olympic flame during the Olympic torch relay is one of the most recognisable and significant symbols of an Olympic Games. Members of the public right across the UK are busy nominating inspiring people to be Torchbearers and I am thrilled we have a beautifully designed, engineered and crafted Torch for them to carry.”
To nominate a torchbearer go to www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelay.