Shoreditch hairdressers handed awards appointment
- Credit: Archant
Two Shoreditch hairdressers have made the cut for a top national gong.
Lisa Farrall and Suhyun Kang of the London Hair Academy in Curtain Road are shortlisted in different categories for the British Hairdressing Awards.
The Afro Hairdresser of the Year award will see Lisa face off against five others, while Suhyun will compete for Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year.
Lisa is the manager and top educator at the salon, having cut the locks of celebrities for 15 years, while Suhyun has built her career in fashion, TV and film.
“I’m beyond excited,” said Lisa. “It is a real honour. I’ve been working hard in this industry all my life and I constantly push my students to do the same.”
You may also want to watch:
The competition required hairdressers and artistic teams from across the country to create a portfolio of four images showcasing their creativity and technical skill. The collections were then displayed in a gallery for judging by more than 50 of the industry’s top hairdressers, all experts in their field.
Jayne Lewis-Orr, executive director of Hairdressers Journal International said: “Lisa and Su should be very proud of their success in two of the most fiercely fought categories. British hairdressing is regarded as the best in the world and to be a finalist is, without overstatement, a huge achievement.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 10 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
The winners will be revealed at a glitzy awards ceremony in November.