Search

Shoreditch office roof fire ‘probably caused by discarded smouldering cigarette’

PUBLISHED: 11:28 22 August 2016 | UPDATED: 11:28 22 August 2016

Paul Street, where a fire broke out on one of the roofs

Paul Street, where a fire broke out on one of the roofs

Archant

A cigarette “carelessly discarded” onto a neighbouring flat roof is the most likely cause of an office block fire in Shoreditch last night, fire investigators believe.

No one was injured in the blaze which damaged a small part of the roof of the building in Paul Street.

The Brigade was called just after 9.30pm and 21 fire fighters using four fire engines had the fire under control an hour later.

A spokesman from the London Fire Brigade said: “It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette