Shoreditch office roof fire ‘probably caused by discarded smouldering cigarette’

Paul Street, where a fire broke out on one of the roofs

Paul Street, where a fire broke out on one of the roofs - Credit: Archant

A cigarette “carelessly discarded” onto a neighbouring flat roof is the most likely cause of an office block fire in Shoreditch last night, fire investigators believe.

No one was injured in the blaze which damaged a small part of the roof of the building in Paul Street.

The Brigade was called just after 9.30pm and 21 fire fighters using four fire engines had the fire under control an hour later.

A spokesman from the London Fire Brigade said: “It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.”

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter