Shoreditch resident follows in her father’s footsteps with charity run
- Credit: Archant
A Shoreditch resident is following in her father’s footsteps on an epic charity run to fundraise for the Stroke Association.
Jessica Knowles, 27, of Swanfield Street was inspired to take on Bupa’s Great North Run, as her father Keith did 30 years ago after he suffered from a stroke last April.
Miss Knowles will race the 13 miles in her hometown of South Shields in Newcastle to raise awareness for the 152,000 strokes a year people suffer in the UK.
She said: “Dad’s stroke was such a shock to the whole family. He was fit, healthy and relatively young – it just goes to show that stroke can affect anyone.
“I’ve set myself a fundraising target of £500 to help fund the amazing work the Stroke Association does for people like my dad.”
You may also want to watch:
Keith is still receiving treatment in the stroke unit at King’s College Hospital, where he is learning to walk and talk again.
Miss Knowles added: “Dad’s due to be discharged from hospital the weekend of the Great North Run. He still has some mobility issues and difficulty with his speech, but I’d love for him to come up to Newcastle and see me in the race he ran 30 years ago, as he’s my inspiration for doing it.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
“I’ve never ran a half marathon before, and I always said it would be the Great North Run if I did; it has such a personal connection for me.”
To donate, visit: justgiving.com/jessica-knowles
For more information about the Stroke Association, visit stroke.org.uk