Shoreditch space company offers Hackney students out-of-this-world opportunity
A Shoreditch-based space technology company is encouraging the borough’s youngsters to reach for the stars with a new university scholarship scheme.
Avanti Communications in Rivington Street is looking for five suitable students – four from low income families – with a flair for science who would like to pursue a career in the UK’s space industry.
The group, which sent its first superfast broadband satellite into space in November last year, is offering to provide successful applicants with an annual bursary of �3,000 to undertake degrees in either astrophysics, astronomy, space science or physics, along with work-experience and mentoring.
Students will receive a six month employment contract with Avanti once they graduate, with the potential of a permanent position afterwards.
David Williams, chief executive of Avanti, said: “We are finding it increasingly difficult to recruit young British engineers with the necessary qualifications.
You may also want to watch:
“The launch of our Space Scholarship Scheme is a direct response to this shortage and is
intended to make a career in the space industry an option for any young person with a
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
passion and flair for sciences, regardless of their economic background.”
For further information on Avanti Communications’ Space Scholarship Scheme, go to