Shots fired: tensions mount on Hackney’s Pembury Estate
Tensions are building on the Pembury Estate in Lower Clapton, after gun shots were fired there on Tuesday night.
Police were called to Pembury Close at around 7pm. There are no reports of any injuries.
“There was a stabbing there last week, things are building up,” said Cllr Ian Rathbone, support worker for the estate’s tenants and residents association (PETRA).
He added PETRA is asking the Peabody housing association, which runs the estate, for better security measures to be put in place to make it safer for all residents, young and old.
In particular they want CCTV footage to be expanded right across the estate and for it to be monitored seven days a week
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said that at this stage detectives were keeping an open mind as to the motive behind the incident, which happened at the estate at the centre of last summer’s riots in Hackney.
Detectives from the Trident Northeast Shootings Team are investigating.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 6 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 7 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
Anyone with information should call 0208 217 7355 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.