Shots fired: tensions mount on Hackney’s Pembury Estate
Tensions are building on the Pembury Estate in Lower Clapton, after gun shots were fired there on Tuesday night.
Police were called to Pembury Close at around 7pm. There are no reports of any injuries.
“There was a stabbing there last week, things are building up,” said Cllr Ian Rathbone, support worker for the estate’s tenants and residents association (PETRA).
He added PETRA is asking the Peabody housing association, which runs the estate, for better security measures to be put in place to make it safer for all residents, young and old.
In particular they want CCTV footage to be expanded right across the estate and for it to be monitored seven days a week
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said that at this stage detectives were keeping an open mind as to the motive behind the incident, which happened at the estate at the centre of last summer’s riots in Hackney.
Detectives from the Trident Northeast Shootings Team are investigating.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Anyone with information should call 0208 217 7355 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.