Shots fired: tensions mount on Hackney’s Pembury Estate
Tensions are building on the Pembury Estate in Lower Clapton, after gun shots were fired there on Tuesday night.
Police were called to Pembury Close at around 7pm. There are no reports of any injuries.
“There was a stabbing there last week, things are building up,” said Cllr Ian Rathbone, support worker for the estate’s tenants and residents association (PETRA).
He added PETRA is asking the Peabody housing association, which runs the estate, for better security measures to be put in place to make it safer for all residents, young and old.
In particular they want CCTV footage to be expanded right across the estate and for it to be monitored seven days a week
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said that at this stage detectives were keeping an open mind as to the motive behind the incident, which happened at the estate at the centre of last summer’s riots in Hackney.
Detectives from the Trident Northeast Shootings Team are investigating.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
Anyone with information should call 0208 217 7355 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.