Shots fired: tensions mount on Hackney’s Pembury Estate
Tensions are building on the Pembury Estate in Lower Clapton, after gun shots were fired there on Tuesday night.
Police were called to Pembury Close at around 7pm. There are no reports of any injuries.
“There was a stabbing there last week, things are building up,” said Cllr Ian Rathbone, support worker for the estate’s tenants and residents association (PETRA).
He added PETRA is asking the Peabody housing association, which runs the estate, for better security measures to be put in place to make it safer for all residents, young and old.
In particular they want CCTV footage to be expanded right across the estate and for it to be monitored seven days a week
A police spokeswoman said that at this stage detectives were keeping an open mind as to the motive behind the incident, which happened at the estate at the centre of last summer’s riots in Hackney.
Detectives from the Trident Northeast Shootings Team are investigating.
- 1 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 2 Dalston Lane closure after rider taken to hospital
- 3 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 4 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
- 5 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 6 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 7 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 10 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Anyone with information should call 0208 217 7355 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.