Shots fired: tensions mount on Hackney’s Pembury Estate
Tensions are building on the Pembury Estate in Lower Clapton, after gun shots were fired there on Tuesday night.
Police were called to Pembury Close at around 7pm. There are no reports of any injuries.
“There was a stabbing there last week, things are building up,” said Cllr Ian Rathbone, support worker for the estate’s tenants and residents association (PETRA).
He added PETRA is asking the Peabody housing association, which runs the estate, for better security measures to be put in place to make it safer for all residents, young and old.
In particular they want CCTV footage to be expanded right across the estate and for it to be monitored seven days a week
A police spokeswoman said that at this stage detectives were keeping an open mind as to the motive behind the incident, which happened at the estate at the centre of last summer’s riots in Hackney.
Detectives from the Trident Northeast Shootings Team are investigating.
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 3 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 4 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 5 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 6 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 7 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 8 Apply now: Hackney Central business fund launched
- 9 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 10 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
Anyone with information should call 0208 217 7355 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.