Electric vehicle ‘simple sockets’ lead to parking confusion in Newington Green
- Credit: Roy Chacko
New electric vehicle (EV) charging points in Newington Green are causing problems, because anyone can park next to them.
There are 50 "Simple Socket" charging points across Hackney, which allows an EV to be charged directly into a connected lamppost.
But the installation of the new charging points last month had a mixed reaction from EV owners.
Geoff Pugh said: "This is great news for locals, less pollution and more people are able to use electric vehicles, unfortunately any resident can park there, blocking the charge point for EV. Would it not make sense to mark the bays EV only?"
The council said it was considering the idea.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah, who also owns an EV on Springdale Road, said she is just happy that they've been installed at all. She said: "It's fantastic they've put the infrastructure in to tackle climate change."
The council is also considering a wider rollout of simple sockets across the borough.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 8 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest