Electric vehicle ‘simple sockets’ lead to parking confusion in Newington Green
- Credit: Roy Chacko
New electric vehicle (EV) charging points in Newington Green are causing problems, because anyone can park next to them.
There are 50 "Simple Socket" charging points across Hackney, which allows an EV to be charged directly into a connected lamppost.
But the installation of the new charging points last month had a mixed reaction from EV owners.
Geoff Pugh said: "This is great news for locals, less pollution and more people are able to use electric vehicles, unfortunately any resident can park there, blocking the charge point for EV. Would it not make sense to mark the bays EV only?"
The council said it was considering the idea.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah, who also owns an EV on Springdale Road, said she is just happy that they've been installed at all. She said: "It's fantastic they've put the infrastructure in to tackle climate change."
The council is also considering a wider rollout of simple sockets across the borough.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding