Electric vehicle ‘simple sockets’ lead to parking confusion in Newington Green
- Credit: Roy Chacko
New electric vehicle (EV) charging points in Newington Green are causing problems, because anyone can park next to them.
There are 50 "Simple Socket" charging points across Hackney, which allows an EV to be charged directly into a connected lamppost.
But the installation of the new charging points last month had a mixed reaction from EV owners.
Geoff Pugh said: "This is great news for locals, less pollution and more people are able to use electric vehicles, unfortunately any resident can park there, blocking the charge point for EV. Would it not make sense to mark the bays EV only?"
The council said it was considering the idea.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah, who also owns an EV on Springdale Road, said she is just happy that they've been installed at all. She said: "It's fantastic they've put the infrastructure in to tackle climate change."
The council is also considering a wider rollout of simple sockets across the borough.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown