Electric vehicle ‘simple sockets’ lead to parking confusion in Newington Green
- Credit: Roy Chacko
New electric vehicle (EV) charging points in Newington Green are causing problems, because anyone can park next to them.
There are 50 "Simple Socket" charging points across Hackney, which allows an EV to be charged directly into a connected lamppost.
But the installation of the new charging points last month had a mixed reaction from EV owners.
Geoff Pugh said: "This is great news for locals, less pollution and more people are able to use electric vehicles, unfortunately any resident can park there, blocking the charge point for EV. Would it not make sense to mark the bays EV only?"
The council said it was considering the idea.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah, who also owns an EV on Springdale Road, said she is just happy that they've been installed at all. She said: "It's fantastic they've put the infrastructure in to tackle climate change."
The council is also considering a wider rollout of simple sockets across the borough.
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 9 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing
- 10 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas